Friday, January 11, 2013

Sexy Sweater Girls and other random ramblings...


They were part of the iconic look of the 1950s. They were sexy without being trashy. Every man wanted them and almost every woman wanted to look like them. Sweater girls.

The term "sweater girl" was first given to a young Lana Turner by the Hollywood Reporter in the 1930's because of her appearance in a tight sweater in the movie "They Won't Forget".  The sweater girls look became a fashion trend that gained even more popularity in the 1950s when stars like Jayne Mansfield and Kim Novac frequently wore the tight sweaters accompanied with bullet bras.


Lana Turner in "They Won't Forget"



Jayne Mansfield



Diana Dors


Thinking about sweater girls and bullet bras also got me thinking about more vintage authentic under garments. I have yet to enter into that world, but I want to. I'm not sure actual vintage under garments are going to be easy to find. I'm just starting to look up lingerie stores that specialize in 1940s and 1950s style underwear and nighties!

I LOVE the sweater girl look and can't wait to try out a bullet bra. I'm not very...ummm... well endowed (which is good for my dance career but causes problems when I want a pin up look) so it may just look ridiculous on me but I going to try it. But cute 1950s sweaters will always be a good wardrobe staple so it's a win win.

Speaking of cute 1950s sweaters, I was reading a blog post by Bunny Moreno of  Bunny's Victory. She was talking about which period she thought best suited her. The 1940s or the 1950s. I've been thinking a little about that myself. I know that I am totally a 50s girl. I feel like the style of the 50s suits me well. When I think of the 1950s I think of crinoline, gloves, cardigans and curly hair. Then other times I think of pencil skirts and tight sweaters. Basically all things girly.

When I think of the 1940s I think of total sophistication. I think of fabulous updos and long flowing evening dresses. I think of cute little skirt suits with cute little heels. And the best hats ever. I feel like its a very "womanly" look.

Although I'm in my 30's I have a playfulness about me that I think is more suited to the 50s, but the "woman" in me wants to be a 40s girl.  I don't currently own very many clothes from that time period but I'm excited to add more. I'm definitely going to alternate to the period that fits my mood that day or the occasion I'm getting gussied up for.



So there you have it. My thoughts and ramblings of the day. Hope that wasn't too boring. I'm hoping to do another VLV post this weekend!!! Its getting closer!!

Oh! Be sure to enter Haute Rockabilly Fashionista's snood giveaway. She's giving away a snood from Arthelia's Attic! Its a snood from an 1942 pattern so it will look much more authentic then the ones sold in stores nowadays. I think I'm going to enter! I need another snood!!!






post signature









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the shout out mama! I would LOVE to see dressed in something 40s. You really rock the 50s though-I say it suits you very well and your hair looks amazing styled that way. Def try them all out. I have and 40s/50s is what suits me best. I am thinking perhaps more specifically perhaps late 40s/early 50s?? I def have to do more hw on that.

    And about the boobage-check out this site: http://www.amerimark.com/cgi-bin/amerimark/index_home.html

    I have yet to make an order from them but a good friend has. I def want to get the slips and a vintage styled bra. Its kinda an old lady shop but hey we are kinda into that stuff hehee

    Happy Friday!! xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...